Stylish excursions with old-timer cars
You do not have to be crazy about cars to derive pleasure from veteran automobiles. Oldtimer cars represent a way of life, and can often be seen at events held in equally spectacular surroundings. These stately classic cars merge with the magnificent, history-steeped Engadin Alpine world to form an all-embracing artwork. For example, at the legendary British Classic Car Meeting in July. An insider tip for old-timer fans are the Dinner Cruises, held every second Thursday of the month from April to October. You can, of course, also drive along these six routes under your own steam:
1. Over the Maloja Pass to Promontogno in the Bregaglia Valley. Aperitifs in the Hotel Corona in Viscosoprano, before visiting the old Pretorio jail and the late-Gothic' Stube' of the Castelmur family, followed by a relaxing dinner at the Trattoria Bregaglia in Promontogno.
2. Over the Albula Pass to Bergün. The landmark of the village is Bravuogn Church. Built in 1188, the only parts of the Romanesque complex that still standing are the tower and side walls. The building underwent reconstruction in late-Gothic style around 1500. In 1930, precious mural paintings were uncovered in the nave. After dinner in the Rittersaal (Knights’ Hall), return journey to the Upper Engadin.
3. Over the Maloja Pass to Coltura and Soglio. First stop: Palazzo Castelmur in Stampa-Coltura, including a guided tour of the stately patrician house, with its many original furnishings, and the exhibition of the legendary Graubünden confectioners. In Soglio, the evening meal at the Palazzo Salis promises to be a tasty treat.
4. To Zernez and over the Ofen Pass to the Hotel Parc Naziunal. A visit to the National Park Centre in Zernez, the indoor swimming pool and the legend-steeped Wildenberg Castle form the first part of the programme, before the convoy continues on to the dinner venue at the Hotel Parc Naziunal on the Ofen Pass.
5. Over the Bernina Pass to Poschiavo. After a visit to the Mengotti-Bassus Local History Museum, the journey continues to the Casa Tomé Museum, the oldest completely preserved farmhouse from 1357, and to the equally impressive and beautifully restored Casa Console Arts Museum, with its famous collection of important paintings. Aperitifs are served on the village square, and dinner in the elegant Albrici Hotel.
6. Down into the Lower Engadin to Tarasp Castle. The journey leads through the picturesque village of Guarda, towards the Lower Engadin. The guided tour of Tarasp Castle culminates in an organ concert – and naturally also in the superlative cuisine at the noble Schlosshotel Chastè.
Volante AG Classic Car Engadin
San Bastiaun 67
T +41 81 851 05 70
T +41 81 824 31 51