The story of La Punt

The story of La Punt

 open  partly open   closed 

The name reveals the fact that La Punt Chamues-ch consists of two parts. Chamues-ch  is the older. The first written record of this former farming village dates from 1137, when the bishop of Chur bought it from the Count of Gamertingen. The beautiful old farmhouses nearly all date from after 1499 – when, during the Swabian War, the inhabitants set fire to their wooden houses in the face of the advancing enemy to encourage them to turn back. The other part of the village, La Punt (“The Bridge”), grew with the increasing trade activity over the Albula Pass. The wealthy trading families of Albertini und Pirani built grand patrician houses here in the 16th and 17th  centuries. The village is also home to elaborately decorated farmhouses, as well as the impressive Sandoz house with its hall-like passageway through to the middle of the building – and of course the famous restaurant Chesa Pirani, with its baroque panelled parlour and two Michelin stars.



Find accommodation