The story of S-chanf

The story of S-chanf

 open  partly open   closed 

The first traces of human settlement were found by the head forester Eduard Campell in 1932: clay shards from around 600 BC. The first written mention of S-chanf, however, was in 1139. As with many valleys of Graubünden, a tradition of emigration began in the 16th  century, which brought a certain prosperity. Confectioners made names for themselves in Le Havre, Bordeaux, Breslau and Königsberg, and money flowed back to the village. By 1806, S-chanf had a population of 450 inhabitants, and was the most densely populated commune in the Upper Engadin. Today, the village is known above all as the finish point of the Engadin Ski Marathon and Inline Marathon, and is home to 600 people, half of whom speak Romansh. It has an unspoilt historic village centre that radiates a genuine, irresistible charm. The natural landscape on the doorstep, meanwhile, is so precious that it has been placed under protection in grand style: S-chanf lies directly at the entrance to the (one and only) Swiss National Park.



Find accommodation